Monday, January 11, 2010

Will I ever get back into shape?

We just got back from South America yesterday, and I fully realized how much weight I have gained and how out of shape I have gotten over the past 4 months. Admittedly, this was due to mono; but it is still depressing no matter how one looks at it. Ugh. Will running/cycling/swimming ever come back?

I went to a spin class this morning and swim practice this afternoon. Delightful exhaustion. It has been a while since my muscles felt like this. Of course, I am terrified that I won't get back into shape in time. There is so much to do and still one semester left of school....and the projects never seem to end. And running! All of sudden I am scared to run. It's probably because I feel heavier, and am weaker, and everything is so much more difficult than I remember. I am going to swim and bike this week, then definitely get back out and run next week with the weekday group. If I am feeling exceptionally brave then I will join the group on Saturday morning for a long run. The Houston marath
on is this weekend; thank God I am not in it!

In other news, South America was totally worth falling off the get-back-in-shape regimen. It was so wonderful and Buenos Aires is my new favorite global city. It is fascinating; and the history! Ah....so beautiful. I tried to run with some classmates there, but my legs were having none of that nonsense.

And to fully i
mmerse myself in the must-get-in-shape mode, I am chopping off all of my hair. South America was so hot, and my hair has gotten so long. I refuse to put up with it any longer. Pooh on what others think. They do not have to put up with thick, wavy dark locks that weigh more than one's head! I am thinking: hair that will allow easy use when working out constantly: pixie hair cut. Like Ashley Judd (convenient picture).



Now, I am not claiming to pull this off as cute as Ashley....but enough is enough! It's time to hunker down and work, and this 20-minutes-of-blow-drying is not going to cut it by any stretch.

Tomorrow is swimming...and weights. Yes, it is time. My muscles are totally gone and my body has inflated itself. This must stop. Next week the goal is to download half-ironman training plans. And hop to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment