Saturday, February 6, 2010

Just another Sunny Saturday in Houston


It is glorious outside! Don't you adore divine days like this? The sun is shining, the sky is clear, the weather is in the lower 60's (yes, in February), kids are playing, people are laughing....it is a glorious, glorious day!

This day is even more special because I successfully completed 10 miles this morning! We ran the Heights route this morning and I ran at about an 11-minute mile pace. OK, yes, that is somewhat slow, but (a) I just wanted to finish, (b) I am working on getting back in shape which I must accept in my heart will take a while, (c) I was wheezing the entire time we ran, due to the cold, and (d) I slept terribly last night. I almost slept in and was certain that the group would leave me. I am somewhat nervous about next Saturday because I am going to be SAGging the run. But it will all work out fine.

Amanda, Curtis, and Daniel gave me good advice about sneakers and watches, so that is going to be my upcoming mid-term project: researching for these products. I have not run with a watch in over 3 years. It is time. I am an adult; it is time to pay attention to my running, my speed, and be kind enough to do something small like offer the time to others rather than annoy everyone with such a simple request.

After the run about 25% of us went to Starbucks for a breakfast. It was nice to hang out with the gang and I do need to be more social, anyways. They are a great group~SO fast. Their average mile pace excluding me is probably around 7.5 minutes whereas mine is 11 minutes. One day I will get up there with the thoroughbreds! I just need to shut up and run.

I do not know who reads my simple little blog, but for those of you who do not run and wish to, do it. You do not need to be fast, you do not need to be thin. You just need to want to run. And you really should not "wait until [I've] lost a little bit of weight before [I] get out and run so I will go faster." No, no, no. Just get out and RUN. I promise you that your body will adjust to YOU, and not the other way around. You should not be adjusting to your body. Our good Lord did not design us in that manner.

If I can do it, you certainly can do it. I am not a great runner; never have been and never will be. And that is perfectly fine with me. I enjoy running. I enjoy getting out on the road chatting with others about what is going on in our lives, being alone with my thoughts, or talking with the Lord.

Contentment. It is the key to happiness.

I am sitting at the Barnes and Nobles by the house, drinking a hot tea that I did not realize contained cocunut; thus, is akin to drinking suntan lotion. I know, right? Blech. It is nice to spend time catching up on reading and journaling. I know that once work starts all of this nice time will cease to exist.

Anyways, enough of Heather's rambling. Since this is indeed a blog focused on half-ironman training, allow me to relay the rundown of this week's activities:
Cycling - 1 time + ab class
Lifting - 2 times
Running - T, TH, S: 23 miles (wohoo!)
Swimming - M, W, F: 7500-8000 yards. And that includes a Jada practice!

I now follow a few other triathlon blogs (I know what you are thinking; and yes, can you believe there are others than just myself psycho enough to do something like this out there? Crazy people, all!).

I will have to think about the activities list for this week. Not only is tomorrow the Super Bowl, but Friday is the Big Day: Rice's 10th Annual Women in Leadership Conference! I will need to really plan out this week's activities to-do list if things are going to get done.

No comments:

Post a Comment