Tuesday, February 2, 2010

On the road again.

Larry and I ran 6 miles this morning! It felt fabulous. For both of us. Larry has been having lung problems, which I am very familiar with living with allergies and asthma. We both missed running for a few months and are both getting back in shape. Larry has the Big Sur marathon in April, and as we all know, I am doing a half-ironman (still haven't chosen one) in the fall. The run felt awesome! For Larry, it is because he can breathe; for me, it is because I am finally, after 30 years, learning to eat like an adult.

I finished Robyn O'Brien's book, "The Unhealthy Truth." I am 95% certain that her book changed my life. I did not realize how messed up our food supply is. Similar to Robyn, I had blindly believed in our system. But our system, and more importantly, our system administrators, have incentives of their own. Read that as money. There is a fantastic money trail with regards to ingredient approvals and food supply that you cannot find ANY information on anywhere. Because it is a nasty secret. So sad. If you do not have or have not read Robyn's book, please read it. Especially if you have small children with allergies or asthma. I have both, and her book made me cry at two places, because the trials of her children that she describes and went through as a mother is exactly what I experienced as a child. It was horrible. I pray to God that my children will not have any of the problems that I did. And this will happen!

The reason I mention Robyn's book is that it has been helping me eat correctly. That, and my awesome Mom has been lecturing me (rightly so) on not eating sporadically and to c
ommit to meals at mealtimes. With REAL food (my Dad has a bad habit of eating nothing but sugar and salty chips, so those are everywhere the eye can see in the house). I confess that I never paid attention to food before because I never had to....who does in their teens and twenties? Alas, I am not a spring chicken anymore! And Robyn's book helped serve as the catalyst to motivate me to do this. I have a suspicion that her book will not be last I read on this subject and incorporate into my life.

My body is having a blast with the real-food-non-chemical-eating phenomenon, and I attribute our awesome run this morning to this phenomenon! It felt wonderful to be fleet of foot, and speed along the streets of Houston. We stick to areas around Memorial Park, and it makes a great start to the day.

Speaking of starting the day, it's time to get going.....One of the items on the to-do list is to email Steve about riding with the COP MS 150 group, even though I am not officially riding in the MS 150 race. I did not know that this could be done. This would be fantastic because this means I could get out on the road (via the bike) much earlier than planned! Fall half-ironman, here I come!

No comments:

Post a Comment